- Designed for Hand-Held Use
- For Cinema Cameras & DSLRs up to 15 lb
- Keeps Horizon Level & Counteracts Drift
- Single and Dual Operator Control Modes
- Supports DSMX and SBUS RC Transmitters
- Bluetooth Interface for Configuration
- Software for Android and Windows
- Shot Recorder Remembers Camera Position
- Fully Tool-Less Balancing
MOVI M15 3-Axis Motorized Gimbal Stabilizer from Freefly is a camera stabilization system that uses three motors and an IMU (inertial measurement unit) to detect and counteract unwanted movement along three axes: pan, tilt, and roll. In particular, it works to compensate for handshake or vehicle-induced vibration as well as reduce translation. It supports payloads up to 15 pounds, making it suitable for professional cinema cameras with lenses, as well as smaller camcorders and DSLRs. There is a quick-release adapter available separately so that it can be mounted on cranes, jibs, vehicles mounts, and other camera support equipment.
The system supports single- or dual-operator control. In single user (Majestic) mode, the system's software intelligently differentiates unwanted shake or vibration from intentional movement, such as panning, while keeping the horizon level. Alternatively, you can have a dedicated operator (Stabilized Slew mode) with a remote control or RC transmitter who is in charge of camera pan, tilt--and if you want--roll. In this configuration, the camera will always point where the operator of the remote tells it to, independent of how the rig operator moves.
As with sled-style stabilizers, the camera should be balanced on the MOVI to ensure best performance. Once balanced, the MOVI will need to be linked via Bluetooth to an Android mobile device or a computer or tablet running Windows to finalize the configuration process.
Two lithium-polymer (LiPo) batteries and a charger are included, as well as a quick-release top handle for low-angle shooting or transporting the assembled rig on set.
- Supported Cameras
- The MOVI M15 is designed to support payloads up to 15 pounds, making it suitable for professional cinema cameras with cinema lenses, as well as smaller DSLR cameras. Cameras that have been tested on the system include the ARRI Alexa M, Sony F5/F55, RED Epic/Scarlet, Canon C500/C300/C100, Sony FS700 (with limited choice of lenses), and the Blackmagic Cinema Camera / Production Camera 4K.
- Lightweight Construction
- Because the weight of your camera setup and the M15 is supported by your arms, the M15 is built to be as light as possible to keep while maintaining structural rigidity and robustness.
- Remote Operation
- The MOVI can be operated remotely either with a dedicated controller or using an RC aircraft transmitter (hand-held radio controller). It supports Spektrum DSMX and Futaba SBUS transmitters with at least six channels, including the Spektrum DX7s. Wireless range will vary depending on the transmitter used.
- Three Control Modes
- Majestic Mode: For single-operator use. In this mode the gimbal provides stabilization without counteracting operator-directed camera movements--the camera goes where you point the handles. This mode is ideal for accurate framing in tight situations
- Stabilized Mode: Assumes no operator input, compensating for all movement it detects. Ideal scenarios for this mode include when the gimbal is mounted to a car or shots where the camera is moving but the camera angle remains fixed
- Slew Stabilized Mode: For dual-operator control. In this mode an operator with a dedicated remote or RC transmitter controls pan, tilt, and roll independently of the gimbal handler's movements.
- Drift Free Horizon
- The gimbal uses a GPS-assisted IMU that when used outdoors with available satellite signals is able to minimize drift even when under acceleration--such as where the camera is mounted on a UAV or vehicle.
- Freefly Configurator
- The Freefly Configurator is a GUI that gives you control of your MOVI via a tablet, Windows, or Mac OSX device. The updatable firmware features auto tuning, motion booting, wireless tuning, and graphing via Bluetooth and has advanced customization including a user-adjustable shaky cam mode.
- Silent Drive
- The motors driving the gimbal have been designed to operate as quietly as possible to ensure you will be able to record sound without picking up any unwanted noise.
- Translation Compensation
- Making hundreds of adjustments per second, the software works to counteract translation--the bobbing up and down effect while running--when tracking a moving subject moving at high speed. In this situation, translation may be unavoidable, but at least the subject will remain in-frame.
- Shot Recorder
- Keeps a record of the camera position (where GPS is available), height, camera pan, tilt, and roll so that the shot can be recreated later or to help Visual Effects align the live action shot with other elements in a CG composite.
- Third-Party Mounting
- Using separately available mounting hardware it is possible to mount the MOVI on cranes, jibs, Steadicams and similar vest-supported stabilizers (where it corrects for angular error), and other camera support hardware. It has also been verified to work on an Easyrig.
- Remote Firmware Updatable
- You can upgrade the gimbal to new software features as they are released by Freefly yourself, without having to send the device in for a factory update.
- Custom Direct Drive Motors
- The MOVI system uses motors that were custom made for the gimbal rather than re-purposing off-the-shelf parts.
- User Adjustable "Shakey Cam"
- Want an organic hand-held look? The MOVI provides variable noise filters that allow you to effectively dial in a custom amount of shake to help you achieve the effect you are after.
Electrical and Mechanical